Friday, May 05, 2006

So maybe I screamed a little bit...

OK. I've been sick, and a little tired, so I took today off from all forms of offical or organised activities [study, work, and kind of social life] and esentially read in front of the tv on the couch. Just what I needed.

Then tonight I thought I'd finish off the day by relaxing a little more in front of a movie, then sleep.

The movie I chose? Well, Carrie was on foxtel so I thought "classic seventies thriller, sounds good"...



Yes well - constant references to God, the Devil, telekenetic powers, emotional abuse, and of course the spectacular pig's blood. Creepy, tense atmosphere throughout. Dark, dark angles and frames and lighting and sets. Oddly wonderul bit-part by a very young looking John Travotla. Entirely fruitcake religoius-nut-sexually-oppressed mother.

And Sissy Spacek. Wow. She's just odd-looking all the way through, and you're utterly petrified of her and at the same time feel so sorry for her - in a way, you can COMPLETELY sympathise with what leads her to massacre half of her school in a blaze of [you guessed it] pig's blood, high-pressure hoses and scorching soaring flames.

Carrie made me squirm in my seat - the eerie soundtrack [thanks to Psycho], and the way Spacek was cute-mousy-teased-girl one minute and blood-covered-eye-bulging-creature-of-Satan the next.
This is the kind of slightly-dated still petrifiying "horror movie" you don't want to admit to being scared of. But can't help it.

Loved it. Don't know how I'm going to sleep though.

1 Comments:

At 8:29 AM, Blogger Scotland said...

I still haven't seen this movie, which makes me mad because the scenes in it are sort of iconic now.

A movie I love that always really creeps me out is Misery (Stephen King book) mainly just because it's the believability of the whole thing.

That, and the scene where the guy's ankles get smashed with a sledgehammer.

*shudder*

Reminds me of the point in American History X when the guy is forced to bite the pavement. Such a chilling noise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home