Tuesday, May 16, 2006

better now than never...

so.

Thursday, 11 May 2006: Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals @ Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne



I must admit I was a little dubious. While I've been a fan for a long time, and Ben's set at Myer Music Bowl [with Jack Johnson] a few years ago rocked my world... I've been less than impressed by Both Sides of the Gun. It's just... dull.

But live BHIC didn't fail to deliver. The stadium was full though I don't think sold out, and songs that sort of whimper and moan on the cd were absolutely cracking live. We got enough back-catalogue to keep us happy, too: Forever, Glory and Consequence, Another Lonely Day, Roses From My Friends, Burn One Down, Steal My Kisses, Walk Away come to mind.

The very wholesome, wide-eyed American Scott from Ringside played cute, non-offensive background music in support. Nothing to write home about [and yet here I am, posting about it...]

You come out of a Ben Harper gig a little elated after lifting your hands and chanting 'I believe in a better way'; a little disturbing after witnessing three ladies/fainting/passing out/having a fit of some unidentified description in general admission right near you; and remembering what a live "stadium" show is all about.

Saturday 13 Mayv 2006. The Whitlams @ The Corner Hotel, Melbourne




What is there to say about Tim Freedman? Give me a minute...

Kate Miller-Heidke was nothing of not surprising in support. Take a classically-trained opera singer, give her a Sarah Blasko-esque Australian accent and nymph-like quality, put her in the latest indie style with a retro high-waisted floral print dress and belt, get her to sing unpredictable songs about Australian Idol, and then imbue her entire performance with a cabaret, musical-theatre reminiscent theatrical touch. You will not come away disappointed.

As with the Whitlams. Little Cloud really does represent a return to their Eternal Nightcap 'good old days'... the kind of beauty that we saw glimpses of in "Blow Up the Pokies" and the fun from "Royal in the Afternoon", combined with the half-drink shouting-at-the-end-of-the-night irreverance of "I Will Not Go Quietly". It certainly wasn't the tightest performance we've ever seen [most obvious on the new stuff] but there's something about it that leaves you just a little happy. A little sad. Whatever. Tim Freedman, live, is what music is about.

2 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,
Read your comment on my friend Ben Sauder's blog, decided to check out yours.

I'm so very pumped at the prospect of going to school in Australia next year, and am even more so now that I know I'll be amongst Ben Harper and AR fans... (making you the rep for all Australians.

More favourites of mine- Elliott Smith, Muse, Regina Spektor, Bright Eyes, and you MUST try Sarah Slean... Canadian, like myself, which might mean hard to find, BUT it's well worth it. I don't know you, but as a 'casual reader' (and you thought you didn't have any!) who likes to think she can sense these things, I have a feeling you'll appreciate it.

Anyway.. sorry for taking up this space. I tend to be a bit verbose! I love your writing, and only wish I could be as succinct! I just couldn't find an email address, but still wanted to write you. So don't feel like you need to keep this up! :)

Keep writing... I'll be reading until I'm delivered from my sorry existence as unemployed skid.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger deep in thought said...

Hi -

take up as much space as you like! Any Elliot Smith/Bright Eyes fan is more than welcome here...

I'll hunt Sarah Slean down... maybe I'll ask my Canadian friend karla :)

So where in Australia will you be studying? And what will you be studying?

Stick around... keep commenting... I'm going to see Aust. bands over the next two nights Laura tonight and Lior tomorrow night so will keep you posted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home